View Single Post
Old 2010-11-26, 17:36   Link #19111
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
In any case, I didn't mean to do anything but voice my opinion: I do not accept Bernkastel from Umineko to have any relation to Higurashi's Rika. I cannot prove they don't have any and I am uninterested in doing so, people can believe what they want. More importantly, that she is related or not has yet to have a real influence on the main plot of Umineko, as thus it's a mere detail of personal opinion.
While I believe in the connection, I do have to concur; while Bernkastel creates a thematic continuity, it doesn't really matter to Umineko in the slightest. It's main purpose, if any, is just to screw with our emotions and presumptions so that we're shocked by Bernkastel's malevolence.

Quote:
I personally also believe that if Rika and Hanyuu had just accepted their fate they wouldn't have suffered so much. Inherently I see Satoko as much more of a victim, but again that's opinions.
While objectively speaking, this is true, it leads to the problem of allowing genocide to go through unpunished when they have the ability to prevent it. Not cool.

Quote:
Bernkastel's background just doesn't fit with Frederika Bernkastel's background, it doesn't make any sense.
Mind explaining why? This point has never been explained to my satisfaction.

Quote:
However I have to say, in a world where a thousand years is actually six years I'm really not certain we're dealing with any immortals to begin with.
For Beatrice, anyway. Lambdadelta and Bernkastel come from outside of Beatrice's magical compendium, and we can't apply the same rules; it's the same mistake as trying to figure out what the two symbolize on the gameboard.