View Single Post
Old 2013-04-09, 07:53   Link #511
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Why, oh why, the first thing in the morning do I have to read through a whole page worth of nothing but discussion about ANN? Can't you folks take that kind of off-topic discussion somewhere else? Like ANN, for instance?
It's about the show, people are free to discuss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
Disagrees with you on the quality of a show -> must be a pretentious hipster
I like the logic.
Sadly it goes both ways. The people who like it, and those who don't.

Personally my issue lies with the rotoscoping quality, which I feel is one of the worst uses of it I've ever seen, and the OP/ED choices. It didn't help that the backgrounds repeated a lot too. I don't mind rotoscoping at all. A number of my favorite western animation used it (pick a Don Bluth movie, heh), and it's used in a few of my favorite anime as well. But in this case, it really does feel like the staff simply traced over a live action sequence very hastily, and left it at that, and there's no real "depth" or detail to any of it.

Basically, I could accept the changes if it looked like the staff actually tried, but it doesn't. The effects come off cheap, and it hurts my ability to take it seriously when Nakamura appears and looks like someone smashed her in the face with the ugly branch. There's nothing alluring about her at all. She just looks pissed because life handed her some bad genetics.

It's a huge contrast to the manga version, were her appearance is pretty, but her personality is not. It's a great encapsulation of her role in the story, and of the cast in general, where outward appearances and how we think of people don't match up with the reality of who they actually are.