View Single Post
Old 2011-10-13, 00:02   Link #2944
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Anybody else here had a similar experience to this?
I can't say that I have quite the same affinity to any particular author, but I definitely know the feeling as far as genres of stories go.

For myself personally, I can play light-hearted romantic games pretty much any time, sort of like junk/comfort food, and never really tire of it. But my favourite games are generally more serious and gripping, with stronger emphasis on story, probably leaning towards "crying games". But I find those sorts of games so draining that I can only play one every once in a while, and I have to really be in the right mood. Since I generally play these games to unwind at the end of the day, it can be hard to get into something that requires so much focus and deep thought/emotion. So I find I put these games off forever and ever, though when I do get to them they generally end up being favourites.

So I know that's a little bit different, but I think it's a similar idea. Sometimes you might love something a lot, but for various reasons you can only take it in small doses. Stories that either involve a heavy investment emotionally (very tense drama, gripping characters, sad plot developments, etc.), or a heavy investment intellectually (difficult writing, complex subjects, etc.) can be hard to work yourself up to.