View Single Post
Old 2011-07-06, 07:23   Link #103
ronin myael
lost ronin

when i first saw one piece i thought it was the most idiotic series i've ever seen. the art looked strange and the characters were too quirky for my taste. so i stopped and decided it wasn't for me. but over the years i kept hearing about how good it is and one day, someone from this forums managed to convince me to try it. so after several years since i first saw it, i picked up the manga and to my surprise, i actually loved it! i loved it even more than any series i've read or seen before.

what's so good about one piece? the writing. oda is one of those rare gems who could weave a story that's completely whimsical and yet make you believe that it's possible. his writing is not perfect, of course, but for a critical reader like me, i see very few flaws in it. his story is actually full of adventure, drama, action with very serious and heavy themes and yet he delivers it in a way that is light and refreshing. his dialogues are simple but direct. his characters are complex yet you could relate to them as if they're ordinary people. and his art designs, though initially strange-looking, are actually unique and beautiful on their own. his story might be long but it gets better with age. it starts off slow but once it picks up pace it never stops and you're in for the ride.