View Single Post
Old 2012-12-06, 09:28   Link #176
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen
Fine it's one bad point I'm not going to argue that, however like the others before you why does it sound like you think there's some villainous mastermind behind the scenes profiteering off Mashiro when nothing in the story so far suggested that? Is it just the natural thing to assume?
Caricaturish exaggeration on your part aside, the suggestion that Mashiro should do X because people have expectations riding on that, isn't very far from trying to "profiteer" as you put it, because that's an attempt at guilt-tripping her in to doing something she doesn't want to do, for whatever reason, in order to get her contributing in a manner she doesn't feel like contributing in.

Quote:
One other thing I want to mention though is regardless of the argument before- I hope you're not saying that her jump to Mangaka is actually a good career choice, because the only thing it has going for her is that 'it makes her happy'.
How do we define a Good Career Choice? Potential for large public recognition? High critical acclaim? Potential to bring in lots of cash? Potential to go down in history? Good for whom and according to whom?

The "It makes her happy" is the actually important part, not the things listed above, so long as said career provides Mashiro with the necessities she needs. A career that brings in enough money to satisfy her lifestyle and emotional needs is a better choice than a career that gives her widespread recognition in a certain field (that she perhaps doesn't want), millions of cash (that she probably has no use for) and a chance to go down in history (which she may not care about). If the former provides all she needs and makes her happy, then that's a better choice than the later which produces excess amounts of things she doesn't need and is unhappy.

The "Does it make her happy" is actually the first question that should be asked, because we are talking about it with a specific person in mind, with specific needs. So the question isn't "which is the better career choice", but "which is the better career choice for Mashiro". Based on her needs, not those which would be normally tempting to others.