Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-03, 10:32   Link #1518
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

He's definitely putting her wishes above his, or more exactly, putting what he thinks are her wishes above his own. We give Taichi props for doing so, but I'm not sure if that's the whole story.

For one thing, as it turns out Chihaya has a whole range of complicated feelings about watching Arata and Shinobu's match. Ultimately, she decides to see it, following Sakurazawa-sensei's sharp admonition (quoting from memory) "If you've decided to follow this path then there is nothing you are better off not knowing!" All of this has nothing to do with Taichi's chivalric gesture, which is nice but doesn't relate to her actual feelings.

The other thing is that earlier in the season we got some indications that Taichi needs to put himself first for a change. I recall Tsutomu or Nishida saying something to the effect of "He's finally putting himself first" when Taichi goes off to practice, following Chihaya's declaration that his making Class A was one of her goals for the season.

Loving Chihaya is a major--positive--impetus upon Taichi's character developemnt. It's a lot of the reason he's trying to become a person who doesn't run away (although I think that goal is based ultimately on gaining Arata's respect.) And Taichi's selfless devotion is inspiring.

At the same time, his love for her is probably getting in his own way to some extent. It's not helping him relate to Chihaya as she is: his gestures tend to be conventional, like the flowers in the hospital, and not personal. And to the extent his presence keeps other boys away, he contributes to Chihaya's own immaturity.

For what it's worth, I find character bashing and defending equally besides the point, insofar that reflects the poster's personal likes and dislikes. What's interesting is not you or me, but the anime, the manga.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote