View Single Post
Old 2013-02-14, 03:58   Link #1699
Used Can

I think Christian Svensson is missing the point. DMC wasn't some new IP that was recently getting introduced in the Western market, but an IP that had already positioned itself and had a established fanbase. There was no need for experimentation.

Furthermore, as soon as they announced what the reboot would be like, fans all over the world (not merely in the West) clearly voiced their disapproval. It was clear this was a series driven by 2 factors mainly: 1) Dante and 2) The gameplay. Yet, they went their way and changed both, and this was, again, against what their market said.

Now, despite that, they had things their way, very likely expecting to attract new Western fans by making the new Dante more similar to your average Western comic/video-game hero (read: anti-establishment, angry (in the youngster way), smartass, lone-dog, hardcore... etc...) and by making the game easier. They also probably thought that if they made the stages more flashy, that'd give them further praise. However, they didn't sell even half as they had officially fore-casted and the fanbase is angry at them, because of that and due to NT's unprofessional behaviour which we all know already.

The sad thing, is that despite the fans' disapproval, they believe that by having their journalists give them high ratings, having reviews saying the fans's opinions are wrong, and trying to backpedal on previews statements of theirs, they somehow believe fans are going to start buying this.

I just don't know what's their fixation with trying to keep pushing this failure. If it didn't sell well, why not drop it? They could leave the franchise there if they believe they can no longer do anything with it, they could go back to the original DMC, or they could try another reboot that keeps the key points intact. However, they seem unable to do that.