View Single Post
Old 2010-09-30, 10:32   Link #4010
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by billborden View Post
I understand your point, in part, but--by limiting thing to Japanese only links--you are cutting out a large (I would say the largest) portion of the users of this thread from adding anything. As you have said yourself, you have less and less time to spend on this, and I imagine that many of the other seniors are in the same position. Limiting the pool of contributors when the mainstays are able to spend less time researching doesn't make sense to me. Also, I have always seen this thread as an aggregate of what is out there. Yes, I could check all the English language sites myself, but real-life limits that. With a broad-spectrum of people bring their info here, we all benefit. There are enough users here to weed out the false leads, and fill in the questions once the info gets here, but if we're limited to Japanese only sources, that puts the onus of all the original research on those few members who can understand them. And, I'm very sorry to say that, while reading written Japanese may be "a fine skill to have",I'm comfortable saying it's not a practical option for the majority of readers.

And I don't really think you need to worry about staying competitive. I've yet to find another site near as complete as this thread has been--hell, this thread is the reason I became a member in the first place.
I remember the days that it took 1-2 days (usually about 24 hours) to get 1000 additinal views on this thread, nowadays it takes more days... without staying competitive I can see this number only dropping and dropping. I mean why read a thread which will get you the news later when you can read it earlier on other sites.

I do understand what you are saying, but I would still like to see this thread being independent from other news sites, and not a thread that contains a collection of "re-directs" to other english news sites. That type of thread will not only lose readership but might also keep off potential new contributors that are fluent in Japanese from joining in and helping (If I was the outsider and had a look at a thread that contains a bunch of links to other sites, I know that I wouldn't give a hand to such a thread).

On one hand, I do understand what you are saying, but on the other hand I only see the demise of this thread if it keeps taking the path that its taking currently.