View Single Post
Old 2009-03-09, 18:57   Link #2600
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yFANTgirl View Post
This is really silly but... I'm having problems with the word "you".

In all other languages I speak when you are talking to a person you're supposed to respect (much older, higher position etc.) you don't adress them with a "you". You could cuss at a person all you want but calling them "you" is just taking it to a whole another level. It's just way beyond impoliteness. Even when I'm speaking English, I just can't do it. It's just wrong.

So how weird would it be, if when talking to a person I'm supposed to respect I would refer to them by their name. As in "Can Mr. Smith </insert action here>" instead of "Can you </insert action here>". I've never heard anyone talk like that in English, but then again, I don't exactly live in an English-speaking country, so I'm wondering... just how weird would it be?
In Finnish the polite form for addressing someone is the plural form of a word translating into "you" and I have an impression that's the case in some other languages as well. Naturally this doesn't translate into English since the singular and plural forms are the same. Have never heard third person used when talking directly to the person in question. And would think that it would sound a bit awkward. As a non native English speaker I stick to using you and honorifics such as sir and ma'am if I wish to be on the safe side.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote