View Single Post
Old 2012-08-25, 14:53   Link #29
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I think this episode really serves as a transition from what we've seen previously to a story that seems more centred on what is happening on the front-lines. This episode had callbacks to almost all the previous episodes in one way or another, including references to Kirito joining a guild, working hard for the merchants who support the frontliners, a glimpse at a laughing coffin guildmember -- they're still in this -- and so on. So I think they they did a pretty good job of linking this episode to the previous set, while setting the stage for this obvious shift in focus.

The other story here is about Asuna's role in the guild and how her priorities in the game are starting to change. She is hinting very strongly that, though she still wants to go home, she wants something more from her game experience than just being a tough boss focused on clearing the game at all costs, and she thinks that some of the current tension in the guild is because she's had that attitude for so long. Obviously, the implication here is that she wants a more personal connection with Kirito, which she acts upon right away by joining a party with him (despite the rather... pointed approach... she used to get her way ).

About the "guard" guy (Kuradeel)... I'm not sure whether he's suspicious, or just an idiot (or both?). You'd almost think that he has feelings for Asuna with his attitude, but who knows. The one thing I will say is that it's been a long time since someone used the "beater" term... I would have thought that people would have gotten over it by now, but clearly some people haven't. I don't understand why he figured he could beat Kirito despite Asuna already saying he was 10 levels above him, and him already know he's a beater (if there's any value in that title, shouldn't you expect them to be better?). With the way that Laughing Coffin guy was placed there, I almost wonder if he was told to fight with Kirito so that the other guy could observe for some reason... though I don't know why that'd be necessary. Anyway, I'm sure this issue will come back later; this guy seems stupid enough to try something underhanded in revenge.

Other than that... lots and lots of dialogue in this episode to help us refocus on the story going forward. I suppose some might complain slightly about the lack of action, but it's pretty clearly being set-up for next week. The boss shown appears to be the same as the one in the OP, so I guess we know how that's going to turn out... (Well, not that we should expect otherwise.)

Enjoyed the episode this week, as always.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-25 at 15:08.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote