View Single Post
Old 2013-01-24, 11:06   Link #144
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Latent criminals = trouble makers:
non-conformists, revolutionaries, activists, people who question authority, high strung people, libertarians, ambitious people, greedy people.

People live in a police state where order hinges on a formula and a computer system.

Society for the benefit of the silent majority, geared towards maximizing productivity, and reducing conflict.

What to us would seem as normal people (latent criminals) are persecuted and associated with genuine sociopaths, psychopaths, murderers, mobsters, and the "criminally insane."

All it takes to become a latent criminal is to get caught getting too idealistic, angry at society. You can get there by getting too depressed, not even to the point of a nervous breakdown. A nervous breakdown gets you executed, even if you aren't going to harm anyone.
What you're writing here would fit wonderfully if not for one loud exception - Makishima.

Makishima is definitely a non-conformist and someone who questions authority. In some ways, you could also call him "ambitious". Yet he has a low Psycho-Pass reading.

I think that what the psycho-pass readings are measuring is emotional and "moral" strength. It measures how psychologically strong and firm in one's convictions a person is. Now, I should clarify what I mean by "psychologically strong". Kougami, for example, maintained impressive calm during the confrontation with the Cyborg Hunter. There's a certain toughness to Kougami's psyche, to be sure.

But by "emotional strength", I mean people that are not merely able to stay calm under intense danger and pressure, but people that are optimists at heart; people who's happiness can't be shaken for too long by even the most traumatizing of events.

But you are right to a degree - I get the sense that simple depression will raise your Psycho-Pass considerably, and an outright nervous breakdown will get you killed. There is a certain culling of various personality types going on here, slowly and steadily over time.