View Single Post
Old 2013-01-25, 03:32   Link #145
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
What you're writing here would fit wonderfully if not for one loud exception - Makishima.

Makishima is definitely a non-conformist and someone who questions authority. In some ways, you could also call him "ambitious". Yet he has a low Psycho-Pass reading.

I think that what the psycho-pass readings are measuring is emotional and "moral" strength. It measures how psychologically strong and firm in one's convictions a person is. Now, I should clarify what I mean by "psychologically strong". Kougami, for example, maintained impressive calm during the confrontation with the Cyborg Hunter. There's a certain toughness to Kougami's psyche, to be sure.

But by "emotional strength", I mean people that are not merely able to stay calm under intense danger and pressure, but people that are optimists at heart; people who's happiness can't be shaken for too long by even the most traumatizing of events.

But you are right to a degree - I get the sense that simple depression will raise your Psycho-Pass considerably, and an outright nervous breakdown will get you killed. There is a certain culling of various personality types going on here, slowly and steadily over time.
That's what the story is all about... Makishima, the wild card. He's the trouble maker that the system can't ID.

What so different about guys like? It's probably that they think themselves superior and see people as inferior to them. He's a true sociopath/psychopath. He has no remorse, regret, empathy. He sees humans as animals, lab rats. This sort of detachment is what probably makes him unreadable.

Unlike Rina and the resistance movement breeding in the underground, Makishima doesn't seem to be rebelling against order or even fighting to free the world.

I'm not even sure Makishima is ambitious. He seems to play the observer for now and avoids the spotlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
^You're leaving out the part where they will eventually end up committing some kind of crime and the psycho pass is there to prevent that from happening.

Not everyone with a high CC gets executed either. Just when they're abnormally high. That doesn't happen all the time you know? Just because it happens every other episode doesn't mean it always happens.

The amount of asploded people is still in the single digits. Out of a population of millions, that's rather insignificant.
Latent criminals aren't real criminals. Being a victim can push you to a breakdown. When that happens, the system doesn't care... you're committed. The system doesn't have any compassion, it only cares about risk management. Once you become a risk to social order, you get locked up.