View Single Post
Old 2011-06-14, 13:44   Link #41
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Interesting, the same thing happened to me. Although I'm not sure that I'm moving any slower than I did before - I figure that games are being made to be a bit longer, or maybe I'm just not as good as I used to be
I doubt it's either. I have the same issue, even when it comes to older games that I once enjoyed and played like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I also can't enjoy the longer, more engrossing games anymore. As I'm playing them, I start thinking to myself how competitors in my field of study might be in the lab or reading articles, pulling ahead of me while I'm sitting here doing something virtual that ultimately means nothing. It begins to feel like a waste of time. That's probably an early indicator for being a workaholic (or an overly competitive jerk)

A lot of it probably does have to do with lacking time, as you suggested, and also with being able to do more. As a kid living in a place that would qualify as being something between a suburb and a rural place, I was basically confined to my parents' house. I had a lot more free time then, and it was basically channeled into the internet, anime, and video games. Now my free time can be channeled into a lot of other activities and places. That changes things.
Very true. These days, playing a game (or watching a movie, or going through several anime/tv show episodes) means dropping several hours at a time into something with no long-term benefit. I don't have several hours to spare anymore. There are friends that need attention (something that wasn't an issue when I went to school with them), exercise that needs to be done (working in front of a computer for 8 hours a day is a sure way to get fat), and personal projects that need work (writing, programming, practicing piano, etc.)

People characterize gamers and anime fans have people with no life, but on some level, it's true: it really is impossible to be well-rounded in your interests if you're really serious about either.