View Single Post
Old 2007-06-08, 13:58   Link #190
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Um... you seem awfully angry? I think you misunderstood the currents in that post?

1) What *I* meant was that a reader would either have to learn japanese or wait for the scanlations. If you ever *wanted* to learn japanese, there's another incentive. How you got the impression you got I can't say. Since the books aren't going to happen here -- those *are* the alternatives.

2) You're missing HER context in reading that translation. She's exhibiting a Very Japanese Tradition which is stated in the proverb "It can't be helped." Japanese tend to be very fatalistic in these situations (where the government or their superiors or the system conflict with what they'd like to happen). It would not be her place to diss her Japanese publisher's American partners (even if they are clueless). Your suggestion about what to say is essentially what she said... but in Japanese (where much is left implicit).

3) She's trying to understand what happened over here but she's constrained by her minimal understanding of english and a misunderstanding of just what torqued the bookburners off. She may not even know SSE has a blog as she's in the same boat as an english speaker trying to make sense of japanese websites.
She, like most Japanese, is also not really aware that America consists of many different stripes of attitudes.

4) She's trying to be helpful since the books won't get published, suggesting alternate access .... its all she can do.

Really.. you took that just completely the wrong way. I will say you made a good choice in adding the (ex) in front of your "friends" that think "oh good its free now". They're just exhibiting another thing wrong with our culture.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-06-08 at 14:12.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote