View Single Post
Old 2011-05-03, 01:47   Link #1146
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
of course they look like independent arcs.
though if you read a lot of epic stories, I thought it was obvious that he was preparing the stage, with new characters and concepts and groups and details of the mechanics of the world, though as to what it would be would be a question mark at that point in time. I used to be a dungeon master for D&D, and that's how I set the stage for a 2-year campaign.
Hmmm... Maybe I didn't read enough story, but when I read it back then, I feel the character's background is too independent for an overarching plot(a rogue nun, an anti-vampire, alchemist, and angel? Not to mention the russion nun) and somehow thought that those character wouldn't appear again in the main story, their appearance is just one time thing. Of course, I've been proved very wrong although one of them(2 actually) did indeed never get integrated into the main overarching plot(the alchemist and anti-vampire, oh and that bow user in one of the vol 5 story). Heck, when I read vol 5, it wouldn't crossed my mind that the antagonist in the 2nd story there would seamlessly get integrated into the story that well. I thought he would be gone and never be told again after the story is over. The author is just that good in sewing all those independent earlier arcs into the main plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
True enough for Laura, if it weren't for the novels spelling it out that Laura had fallen for Ichika I would still be going 'what the heck just happened?'. (I watched the IS anime first, then went and looked for the LNs)

Cecilia well, it's a teenage girl falling in love - that by itself explains a lot of things (in anime/manga/LNs anyway...).
They cut out the explanation why Cecilia hate man in the first place in anime, and for me, that's what make her look bipolar in the anime instead of a teenage girl falling in love.

Quote:

Spoiler for Reply:

Agreed completely. The imouto-san is still believable, but the onee-chan was just so awkward that it feels out of place.

Quote:

Didn't Chifuyu say that's all Ichika is good for? Back when he asked why there's no ranged weapons on Byakushiki? He's supposedly best suited to master one thing in contrast to be a jack of all trades.

Basically, his trick is probably limited to Ignition Boost into range and start stabbing/slashing - not like he can use his sword into some kind of barrier-piercing beam, eg F/SN Excalibur style...
It's one thing to master close quarter combat, it's another thing to head charge into battle without thinking when you have an OHKO weapon. I know he wants to show his manliness, but I wish he would think with his brain a bit. You have an extra powerful weapon with limited ammo, would you attack first and risking it miss instead of sending decoys(his harems) to occupy the enemy and you strike when the enemy least expect it? It's many against one so far for God's sake, not one against many. He's not using his friends to the fullest.

Not to mention he now has Setsura. Use Setsura first while looking for a full opening before attacking with Yukihira dang it! And use the skill you have learned to evade enemy attack instead of taking them and reducing your shield energy unless you're almost completely certain you'll hit them. It's tiring seeing him not have enough energy all the time from recklessly using Yukihira or getting hit. It's very understandable for the first few battle, but to do it all the time? That's just stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
I'm talking about greater conspiracies by countries, which surprisingly, is extremely lacking in this series. We know for certain that the countries are not at the best of terms with one another. I would find it hard to believe that there would be no attempt by black-ops forces of other nations to attack one and other, they can always steal research material from the IS Academy. Furthermore, there can be plenty of other conspiracies within IS Academy as well. Given it's status as a research facility non-binding to many of the Alaska Treaty's terms, there can be a number of dark research. The author exploited non of those possibilities. In addition, what the light novel is depicting right now, is about a random bloke called Ichika who constantly gets attacked. There were no attempts to track his attackers, neither were there efforts to exploit Ichika's non-binding status to the Alaska Treaty to get him into some action outside the IS Academy.The whole series just does not have any unexpected twists.
It's still too early for big twist, and the IS academy doesn't do research at all. That's the setting from the start, because the IS academy is set up like a high-school in normal world instead of college where you can do research there. All the students do there is train their skill, not upgrading their IS. All the research is done by the home country of each representative candidate and you only collect data from all the activity inside IS academy, so IS academy is something like a test field instead of research base. For dark research, considering that unless you're Tabane, you would need a full military base to do research on IS, I doubt any of the teacher inside can do that without getting found out by the headmaster, who seems to have no interest in researching IS.

I agree about the story is like the story of some random bloke's daily life, and about the lack of effort in tracking the bad guy although it's been implied here and there that Phantom Task is being tracked after vol 5's incident, but there's no way Ichika can be sent for some action outside the IS academy, considering the rights for his IS citizenship is still being debated(stated in vol 6). Unless a country specifically request for it, I doubt IS academy would sent him into action outside the school since they do still want to keep their independence, not to mention he doesn't have the skill yet to be sent on a serious mission unless it's extremely urgent like in vol 3. Once words got out he got sent for action outside the academy's jurisdiction, the academy will lose its status as a mere school and academy and get treated as a small political district like a certain academy city. We're not talking about some peace-keeping organization when talking about IS academy here, just a normal academy that deals with IS training and happened to be independent.

Last edited by kuroishinigami; 2011-05-03 at 02:01.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote