View Single Post
Old 2011-06-27, 12:30   Link #54
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
After giving it some thought, my view on Ko/Ohana is a fair bit different than most, and is similar to Guardian Enzo's.

One thing that I find striking is just how much Ohana's psyche is caught up with Ko. In other words, how much time and thought she gives to him, and how reflexively her thoughts go back to him.

From Episodes 8 through 13, Ko has been a very frequent part of Ohana's dreams, words, thoughts, and inner monologues. There can be no doubt that Ko is at least a very important person to Ohana.

That's not to say that Ohana will end up with Ko romantically, but I also wouldn't rule it out entirely. We're about halfway into this anime now, and the only guy that Ohana has given serious relationship thought to is Ko.

With apologies to Tooru/Ohana shippers, I'm actually more skeptical of it now than I was a few episodes ago.

Okada has only lightly teased at Tooru/Ohana, playing it off as a primarily one-sided attraction that I think is meant to spark shipper imaginations and create drama moreso than necessarily lead somewhere concrete.

If Tooru/Ohana is to have any real chance, I think we need to see some real sense of Ohana being attracted to Tooru within the next two or three episodes.

It is true that Ohana's relationship with Tooru has improved considerably, but is that important in and of itself, or is it simply a small part of the larger picture of Ohana gradually growing closer to all of her new friends at the Inn? For example, Ohana's relationship with Minko has improved a lot too, but I don't see many people shipping Ohana/Minko as a yuri pair. And that's in spite of a certain sparkling subtext in Episode 3, lol.

All of the above being said, I do think that the new OP and ED may be telling. If Ko is not in the new OP, then that pretty much seals it, even I'll admit. Generally speaking, if a character from one OP doesn't show up in the next OP, it means that character is either dead or never coming back onscreen (beyond a short cameo appearance perhaps).

But then the opposite is true as well. If Ko is in the next OP, then that's a sure sign we will see more of him.