View Single Post
Old 2012-11-04, 16:24   Link #18
shinigami99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It is getting a bit tiring to have Cui dragged left and right as a mere plot device for the "romance" aspect of the show, where she hardly had any role past this, and definitely had so little interactions with the whole cast that make her position, claims and all quite... impertinent to say the least. At least her behaviour wasn't as exaggerated as last week, but took a turn of the ridiculously intrusive now.

It was sort of interesting to have few tidbits about Yuuya, although the series is really having hard time to keep focus with what they want to do: it is baffling at this point of a 2cour series to have segmented arcs thrown in such fashion with hardly any good continuity, along with a genre identity crisis still underway (at this point, it looks quite too similarly to soapy high school romance, than really the "daily lives of test pilots for mecha that are the last salvation for mankind" thing).

And for some reason, the quality even managed to drop far more than usual: Vincent and Cryska sure had numerous facial distortions here and there, and Yuuya was quite often in a weird "perpective", making his "layer" cell obviously superposed on the rest.
I agree, especially about the genre identity crisis thing. I honestly don't know what the main plot of this series is now. Is it romance? Beta? Politics? Mecha(Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid)? I think character driven episodes are fine but they need to tie it into the bigger picture. Unless they plan for a second season, the series will end as disjointed segments and an "all over the place" plot.

However, not looking too deep into this anime makes it a lot more enjoyable. Kind of like how Code Geass R2's last five episodes went (though that was on a much grander scale)