Thread: Crunchyroll White Album 2
View Single Post
Old 2014-03-11, 16:23   Link #1305
Kakurin
大佐

Watched all 13 episodes the last two days. Have to agree with the people above. Episode 1 was just beautiful. Loved the ending, from the scenery to the song. Just everything. But the entire series was done very well. It foreshadows the ending in the very beginning, but still builds up nicely. From episode 1 I was on the Setsuna ship fully knowing that she'll "lose". Thus I was starting to hurt with every passing episode. Episode 7 was kind of bittersweet. It really was the culmination, like Kitahara said, the moment they were closest and it was beautiful looking at them. At the same time it was heartbreaking knowing what was inevitably going to come. The execution thereafter was handled pretty well, showing how every character wrestles with the development, as well as showing how Touma came to be. The finale was strung together nicely and the lovemaking scene was also handled well, embedded in the overall development, instead of just for the sake of itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
And in the end, they all got screwed, mainly because of Hariki's indecisiveness, by the time he made up his mind about who he loved, there was no way to avoid hurting someone, and the one who got screwed the most was Setsuna, who lost both her best friend, and her boyfriend (who in retorspective, was kind of an idiot) to said best friend...
I don't think his indecisiveness is the biggest problem. His biggest issues are in my eyes his denseness and his inability to refuse the wishes of both girls. For the first, he just totally whiffed on picking up the signs Touma was sending out. Yes, she didn't make it easy, but he just had to compare the way she treated everybody else and the way she treated him to get on the track. What's puzzling here is, he knew fully well that she can be a gentle person and he also knew that she doesn't show her gentle side to anyone else, but he fails to put 1 and 1 together and realize that she may be interested in him. Of course even if he realizes this it is still doubtful whether he'll take decisive action, but at least he doesn't waltz around as clueless as evidenced in episode 10. "But didn't you think nothing of me?", seriously? The latter problem compounded with the first is then really driving the car into the mud. Not realizing Touma's feelings he has no qualms (coupled perhaps with a certain level of attraction) about accepting Setsuna. As he told Touma in the flashback in episode 11 he doesn't meddle with everybody's affairs. Just hers and Setsuna's. So he cares very much about those two and has great difficulties rejecting any wish that stems from their hearts. As such I'm unwilling to criticize him too harshly and put him in the same sentence with Makoto. He suffers from a common human problem (as do Touma and Setsuna); how to deal with his very own nature, how to handle it when it drives him into the wrong direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
And best of all I loved how the title song omission back at the concert episode was intentional, and they played it as the last scene of this fantastic series.
Yeah, the moment the episode jumped it was clear what they had done (and what I honestly anticipated). The title just fits the ending perfectly. Love Beyond Reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroi Sekai View Post
Do they have plans to release the acoustic version of WHITE ALBUM that they performed in the first episode? It's not on the OST, and as far as I can see, it's not on that vocal collection set for March either.
What, are you sure? That would heresy. This song is the best one of all...

Last edited by Kotohono; 2014-03-12 at 01:36.
Kakurin is offline   Reply With Quote