View Single Post
Old 2011-06-06, 01:54   Link #157
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
These are actually other reasons why I think I took such a liking to this show when other slice of life shows have failed to reach me so frequently in the past. It doesn't really feel like this show is made for any specific niche in particular so much as anyone who is capable of taking notice of it. You don't have to be into moe to enjoy this show, you don't have to be into sexy character designs to enjoy this show, you don't have to be into romance to enjoy this show, you don't have to be into all female casts to enjoy this show....you just have to have an appreciation for strong likable characters and good old fashioned drama. I mean this is kind of like the type of anime I fell in love with way back in the early 90's as opposed to a lot of the stuff these days that feels a little too niche for me at times.
I think you're right about all that - but that's exactly why I'm shocked it's so popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It feels like strong character drama is making a comeback of late too and god help me I hope I'm right about that.
I hope you are, too! I guess that's the Occam's Razor explanation for why this show is a hit. But I'm hard-pressed to think of any shows in this vein that have been really popular lately, so color me pleasantly shocked by AnoHana's success and skeptical (but hopeful) that it represents anything more than an aberration.