View Single Post
Old 2012-12-10, 12:59   Link #169
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
The coup attempt would have been fuelled by neo-conservative Maoist popularism, and would not have required military action. There are other ways to exercise political power without resorting to force, especially when you are concerned about maintaining an image of "civilised" strength, for both domestic and international observers.
Maoism is dead and will be buried once the last few non-cons die out. Biology is not on their side. Only time Maoists get a revival is when something happens due to U.S inference (See bombing of Chinese embassy, that spy plane incident). As China became more open and more and more of its current generation study aboard, Maoist ideology is pretty much locked in a biological trap like the current Republican party (Only replace grouchy old white men with grouchy old chinese men)

Quote:
I'll just say that I don't share your optimism. It's not necessarily China that will collapse, but central government that may well totter. That is inevitable in a byzantine government that is so overwhelmingly top-heavy, and which has no transparent oversight over local governments. We already see the consequences of that on day-to-day life in China. Rampant corruption and frequent abuses of power by local officials. Xi Jinping has echoed similar concerns over the past week, although in so doing, he merely echoes his predecessor, who barely made a dent on corruption.
Corruption exists before the current government, it will exist after the current government. Believe it or not, it actually IMPROVED in the last 20-30 years because the coming of mass Internet media. Stuff that used to be swept under the table is now coming out. Having lived in China is the 90s and hear about people talking about 20s-80s, I can tell you China is having the best governance in over 4000 years Heck, the fact this governmental transition occurred without being a father-son hand over and without a civil war is a drastic improvement than chinese governance in the last....4000 years.
Quote:
The naivete of such a view speaks for itself.
And your overwhelming paranoia speak for it self.

The west has been ringing the doomsday bell on China since the day after 10.1.1949. And it is still standing.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote