Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-07, 02:58   Link #2809
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Knowing when Himeko is going to win is not the same as not showing a weakness for her to pounce on. Fighting Awai, Ryuuka, and Himeko at the same time without taking direct damage after the first time takes actual effort and skill. Any of them would ruthlessly pounce on a moment of weakness the minute it's shown, especially Ryuuka and Himeko who would be desperate for any advantage they can get over Awai. Give the monkey the credit she deserves.
I did give Shizu the credit. But, we must also remember that out of all the players in this match, Shizu is the one who has the most information on her opponents and this is helping her to avoid getting hit. It also helps that this information is useful since Himeko and Awai have a pattern to their wins.

On Awai, she rons on the draws after the corners of the wall. Out of all of Awai's opponents, this info is only known to Shizu. Funaq only figured this out recently and was unable to tell Ryuuka. Beside that it seems that Awai can ron whoever she likes and thankfully for Shizu; she is not on Awai's radar.

Regarding Himeko, its a great advantage to know which turn she can win and when she cannot. At times, Himeko has a guaranteed win then Shizu only has to watch for Himeko's discard pool and not the others. In fact, the proper thing to do is to bail. And even irl mahjong, a bailing opponent is very hard to directly hit. Anyway, all of Himeko's opponent should already know this. And as we could see, Ryuuka and Shizu seems to be using the info. Awai, though, is a bit too gung ho which is why she's eating rons.

I do admit that monkey is doing good at not being directly hit. But, realistically the only one who would have an opportunity to hit monkey is Ryuuka since Ryuuka is the only one that do not have a winning pattern to watch out for. If I must give monkey credit, its that she has a good plan to survive and take advantage of the clash of titans from the info she knew.... oh wait this should be Harue's plan... err...

That said, I do get what your saying which is why I gave Monkey partial credits since she is the one implementing it and she must have at least have some skill to do so.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote