Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-09, 00:11   Link #15547
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Son of a something...London's on fire! Even the posh areas on the West End!

And my brother is in England now...(in Chester, but still). He visited London for the first time just last weekend.

When I talk to him after he gets back to the States, I wanted to ask if perhaps the UK is a place he'd want to escape to if things go to hell here...but I don't think I will now...

Yeah, I know Britain isn't the stiff-upper-lipped, straitlaced society of Mary Poppins anymore, and I've heard about the unrest during the '80s, but I thought tensions had eased up somewhat. I just hope attitudes improve in time for the Olympics next year.

The people who genuinely feel aggrieved by the white upper classes and police and don't just want to use this current period of tension to grab an iPod would do well to consider the example of the people of Japan and what they've been going through this year.
Almost every advanced country in the world has had its manufacturing job sector decimated by corporate exploitation of labor elsewhere. No jobs have appeared to replace them. The corporations have steadfastly avoided any responsibility for the workforce, the infrastructure, or the communities they used (and dropped). We're running out of working peasants to tax and provide safety net support for the unemployed peasants. The countries with strong social infrastructure have been able to slow or mitigate this... but they're still wounded by this tactic.

And no, I'm not excusing their violent bullshit because it only hurts the people in the community they are wrecking... but its emotional outraged response to this system. That's why a wise aristocracy keeps the peasants *relatively* satisfied and busy.