View Single Post
Old 2010-06-01, 16:59   Link #173
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I think we can agree that the proper (but requiring greater willpower) decision is not to take advantage of a drunk woman.
Well, I strongly disagree with that. If you've ever been drunk, you'd realize that whenever people talk about being so drunk they couldn't remember anything that happened that night, they're usually lying. If they had had sex, it would've been because Hanuki had wanted to have sex with him all along. There are several clues throughout the whole episode of that. He didn't force her into his apartment, she invited him to hers, fully knowledgeable of what can happen in those circumstances. If anything, it was Watashi who was being toyed with, not Hanuki.

The whole episode drew heavily on Freudian psychoanalysis. If you go by that, then Watashi's indecisiveness and reluctance to give in to his innermost desires (by either going with his pen-pal or choosing to have sex with Hanuki), deluding himself, instead, that he's chasing for some remote, unreal ideal of "what makes a man", only made him more miserable in the end -- which is why he wants to rewind the clock.

Quote:
This, my friends, is the character development we've been looking for all along. Instead of escaping into emotion and ecstasy, he thought about what his actions would affect, and this is in contrast to the Watashi that broke hearts merely because he was heartbroken or the reactive and caustic Watashi that anathematized Jougasaki.
I'm sorry, but as I posted earlier, I strongly disagree with that notion. The whole series is playing with Watashi's constant state of unhappiness, which is so strong he inevitably ends up wishing for time to rewind in every episode. In this particular episode, the unhappiness was signaled by Watashi's lack of decisiveness. Whatever path he chose, he had something to lose -- either the love of his pen-pal or a one night stand with Hanuki. Instead of realizing that there was no correct path, and embracing his choice, whatever it was, as the correct one, he simply refused to choose, thus giving in to the unhappiness of the uncertainty over missed possibilities.

I believe you're making a moral judgment that has no bearing to the story -- at no point is either of the choices presented as the "correct" one, and Watashi's final decision not to do anything is certainly not the correct one, for he ends up wishing to go back in time once more.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote