Thread: Crunchyroll Fortune Arterial
View Single Post
Old 2010-12-26, 00:07   Link #439
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Okay, as often happens, I have a different point of view. I enjoyed this show for what it was. An enjoyable little love story with likable characters and an interesting situation.

Sure they could have told us more: about Kuze, about Mama, etc. But I don't see any loose ends. Kuze became her servant centuries ago. As for cool vampire stuff, I thought there was plenty of that here: the heartbeats, the bloodbags, the servant concept (slightly different from a renfield), the brother and the nun. But those weren't the real focus, which was on the relationship between Erika and Kouhei.
I guess my main disappointment is that this is almost certainly the end of the line as far as the anime goes (OAD episode notwithstanding), and there is so much more to be told. Yet, because of the way it was told, I'm not really sure where they can go from here if they're using the game as a model. If they were to announce that a second season is starting in April or some such and that this is a split-cour show, the ending would make a whole lot more sense (it would be similar to D.C. II and D.C. II S.S., which this writer was also involved in adapting). But without that, it even doesn't have as much to offer as a "love story" as it could/should because neither of them have even realized/accepted that they're more than just close friends. The ending just didn't really have any form of "pay-off" to offer over the long term; it resolved most of the major plot threads (Kouhei's migratory bird analogy, Erika's blood lust and need to take a servant, the roles of the major players in this story, etc.) but it's basically still a "To Be Continued" with no indication the continuation will ever come (except, of course, in the game).

(Now I find myself wondering if it actually is possible that they might have done this expressly to allow for a second season, but I'm not honestly sure how they could make that work. But it would explain why we have a quasi-non-end; a second season would sort of be the equivalent to the second playthrough to get the true ending, though they'd have to create a few new events to prevent repetition. Trying to kind of fit both endings into a single linear timeline???)

Edit: I just merged the two above posted into this thread from the Game thread (since they're talking about only the anime) and I guess I'm not the only one who thought this.