View Single Post
Old 2012-10-24, 16:29   Link #74
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
Uhh..I'm late to the thread and the mini-discussion about Komari, but have you guys forgotten "that" scene near the end?

And also the description about her: "sociable, easily, gets along with other people", right at the very start, as I remember from the visual novel. If she is indeed portrayed as her character should be, then there's no problem. In a way, she is Rin's polar opposite, and her personality thus runs in a tangent with Kudo's (this is why I suspect they had many common route scenes together). She should be outgoing, a little bit wise, clumsy, sweet, as "normal" a girl as visual novel conventions go.

Spoiler for The WHOLE of Little Busters! how could you guys forget:
Trust me I don't think anyone forgets that scene, we're practically reminded of it everytime we see Rin + Komari on the roof , which is in the OP and just about every advertisement. Well what I was arguing about, and I see the problem is growing even more, is there's a discrepancy between the VN and almost all of the girls so far introduced. It's not yet a big problem that's unsolvable, but this is what I was saying about Komari two weeks ago, she comes off very different in the anime, I see her as more of a spaz and a quirky girl than as you say,"outgoing, a little bit wise, clumsy, sweet, as "normal" a girl as visual novel conventions go.".

Nevermind whether she helps keep the group together or is more involved than the other girls. For the purpose of the argument (That portraying her differently will have a bigger impact later on.) just take the scenes that she is involved in, in only her own route, even if they keep the scenes the same, if they have her going into the climactic scenes in her own route and so far they've portrayed her so that her most dominant trait is that she's weird, instead of the traits you described, for better or for worse, (I'm thinking worse.) they'll give those scenes a very different flavor. And even for gags, or if they want to show her teaching Kud, they'd have to show off more of her other traits so that it feels more natural when they get to those scenes. Otherwise it won't make as much sense, maybe it'll be funnier though, who knows.

This goes for all characters now, in essence we're getting the same scenes, but so far there's already a few seemingly subtle changes, but are really a much bigger deal than they seem because they're altering our first impressions of the characters, their fundamental personality traits are a little different from the VN, and that might have a big impact later on in the more memorable and emotional scenes. By that time personality traits should already be established, and if they haven't done it accurately, unless you're going off on only nostalgia, there's going to be a big disconnect in the way these scenes feel. This is what I think is the most important impact of not depicting the characters the way they were meant to be, as in the VN.