View Single Post
Old 2006-07-09, 21:35   Link #888
Oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86
So people blow up...big fricking deal...the main ref didn't see it, and one little ratty ref had to whine and bitch and get Zidane kicked off...man there were TEN MEASELY MINUTES left...let the guy go and take his penalty shot, rather than red-carding a retiring player! Sure rules are rules, but for the love of the game and the love of the fans and all of that, let it slide...I mean was the guy hurt? NO! He was acting and we all know it...such BS that authority had to step in and say red card when that mattaloser guy is just as guilty if not moreso...he acted, Zidane reacted. Had he not opened his trap, none of that woulda happened...the Italian shoulda gotten the red card, Zidane shoulda gotten a yellow.
I also think that Zidane is an amazing player and enjoyed his performances for a long time, but that doesn't excuse that kind of behaviour. Yes, it was his last match, but he still should have known better. He's not some noob player who just started out yesterday on the big stage and I'm sure he heard a lot of stuff during his career. He attacked another player on the field physically (after being provoked, I'm sure) and got sent off. You say that he should have been spared the red card basically because of special circumstances and what a great player he is. Where do you draw the line? Is it ok to show favouritism for a star who can get away with certain fouls and a no-name to get shafted for the same thing (happens quite often btw, and not to my liking)? How about "oh, his dog died this morning, so could you let this one slide, ref?"? Even more so, the whole world was looking at Zidane including lots of kids who root for him and may some day play themselves. Is it good role moddeling if he got away with that stuff? Materazzi sure isn't innocent, but the one who blemished his retiring performance was Zidane himself, who didn't have the self restraint to keep his cool for another lousy 15 minutes. He made a stupid mistake, got caught and has to accept the consequences for that. Same goes for Rooney btw. Should the ref have looked the other way there as well, because he's England's golden boy? Or lets go a few years back. How about Maradonna? Talent and skill doesn't get much higher, so what's a little drug abuse in the grand scheme of things, eh? Or Paul Gascoigne, the list goes on. I'm not saying that Zidane's moment of ceased higher brain functions is as bad as drug abuse or drinking, but there's a line between whats ok and what isn't and as sad as it is in this case, he crossed it and now has to deal with it.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote