View Single Post
Old 2012-10-12, 21:35   Link #749
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Watched the first episode. No complaints for me but I wouldn't say I was wow'd but hey this is the first episode right?

As for the argument regarding the gun... I'll go with the gun being designed simply to assist the shooter to decide.
Then why is the gun giving clear-cut commands? The gun isn't saying "Use lethal force if necessary" where the "if necessary" part leaves some wiggle room for the shooter to practice some discretion.

No, the gun is saying "Aim carefully and eliminate the target". Any way you slice it, that's a command.

This anime actually reminds me a bit of the old Robocop movies, and how Robocop is given Prime Directives that he is expected to follow, period.

Quote:
I dunno about you guys I mean sure we know Gen is the writer for this series and thus it will prolly be dark but please let's not assume that it's stupid for the sake of being dark.
I don't think that anybody is assuming that, and I know that I'm not. But some of the arguments I've read over the past page or two simply doesn't jive with how this Psycho-Pass gun is functioning.

Maybe the guns are giving commands for a reason. Maybe one of the critiques being made by this show is that cops are too often expected to do things by the book and not make reasonable exceptions.

Just because the system is crazy doesn't mean that the narrative itself is stupid.