Thread: Licensed Hidamari Sketch
View Single Post
Old 2007-02-08, 21:45   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@Kaio: that trend has been noticed (repeatedly by my wife) ... that the material in a lot of anime seems to be exceedingly focused on "girl groups". In AzuDa, they covered by having guys in the class occasionally be involved such that you could see that guys *were* in the world though none of the girls had a boyfriend (which they would lament occasionally). Here, although there are male shapes in the class --- its like they don't exist for the girls. The manga material and the anime are tending to over-cater to an audience which appears to want a "girl only" story.... which tends to further diverge expectations from reality.

I don't particularly want to see "all male" shows -- but it really isn't that hard to create a few male characters to add to the mix and show that male-female *friendships* can exist. I could go on a soapbox about the expectations crisis between males and females in Japan but thats a derail.

All that said, Hidamari Sketch is still gold and I'm anxious to see how the subtitles match up to my 'raw guesses' at dialog.