Thread: Licensed Hidamari Sketch
View Single Post
Old 2007-02-08, 23:31   Link #80
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
@Kaio: that trend has been noticed (repeatedly by my wife) ... that the material in a lot of anime seems to be exceedingly focused on "girl groups". In AzuDa, they covered by having guys in the class occasionally be involved such that you could see that guys *were* in the world though none of the girls had a boyfriend (which they would lament occasionally). Here, although there are male shapes in the class --- its like they don't exist for the girls. The manga material and the anime are tending to over-cater to an audience which appears to want a "girl only" story.... which tends to further diverge expectations from reality.

I don't particularly want to see "all male" shows -- but it really isn't that hard to create a few male characters to add to the mix and show that male-female *friendships* can exist. I could go on a soapbox about the expectations crisis between males and females in Japan but thats a derail.

All that said, Hidamari Sketch is still gold and I'm anxious to see how the subtitles match up to my 'raw guesses' at dialog.
No, I just figure since there are males in the real world, they should exist in the anime world too. I don't think I could watch an all male show either as it would feel just as weird and as far as I know its never happened either and with good reason. I just want to get inside the heads of some of the studio execs as lately some of their choices for material have been bizarre at the very least. I swear its like every other month I'm out of the loop for almost every aspect of life and nobody cares what I'm interested in and then the next month its all about my interests in games, anime, TV etc. and I have to hear about how much my shows suck.

Let's just keep on improving though with shows like Hidamari Sketch that combine comedy with slice of life without taking themselves too seriously (Like Haruhi tried to do but failed because the audience took it too seriously for some reason I'm not too sure of). At least it feels like they are trying to make these shows more interesting for my demographic. If there going to do the all female cast, at least they're making efforts to make it fun instead of soap operaish.

I don't no how long I can go with Manabi Straight the other all girl show though as it doesn't seem to have a plot and nothing about it is particularly funny or hilarious except for some of the character quirks, which have already gotten old. I honestly think I'm done with that one, but I know people will eat it up in its simplicity, but simple series are just not for me unless they are entertaining in some way like Pani Poni Dash. Worst of all though is that the series seems to be going the famous people angle that some Hollywood movies do when they are worried the series can't hold its own weight in plot so they get a bunch of top faces to do the parts in an effort to draw in more people.

Also thank god Yuko Goto has mixed it up a bit because that voice could get really annoying.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote