View Single Post
Old 2004-08-03, 05:42   Link #8
atua

As others have noted, I found the art for this episode very choppy and rather distracting. I wish they had just chosen one animation company per episode and be done with it. Or at least make sure they all draw in a consistent style. I hope this is not a sign to come for the rest of the season...

Despite this setback however, this was a really mushy and sentimental episode and I mean this in the best possible way. It was great seeing how all the bara-sama had met. I hadn't realised that Youko was a middle school admission. She seems to belong in Lillian so naturally that I have trouble imagining a time when she wasn't there. In fact, she oftens seems to belong more than Sei and Eriko, and they've been there since kindergarten!!

Other notable/favourite scenes include:
  • Sachiko's speech (and Rei's save)... I was shocked when I saw this. I never thought I'd ever see someone as reserved as Sachiko cry in public. I mean I knew she was very fond of Youko, et al but still... I liked this scene for showing a more personal side to Sachiko.
  • Shizuka's goodbye (and not farewell)... Very elegant and understated scene, and very much in character for all three people involved. I'm really going to miss Shizuka.
  • Minako... this was another surprising scene. I might be really offbase here, but was she actually apologising for stalking the Yamayurikai all year?!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Much as I thought that the story between Shimako and Noriko would never shine without before doing "Katate o Tsunaide," in which Sei and Shimako's first meet, I'm glad they are doing this episode! Watchers of Mari-mite should pay attention to this next episode because this is a very important prequel to Shimako and Noriko's meeting.
Yes, it would be a key episode for the white rose family. It also reveals what happened between Sei, Sachiko and Shimako. I'm really looking forward to ep.6 and persumably next 2 episodes of Cherry Blossom. Hopefully they can bring out the suspense and emotions in the first part of Cherry Blossom successfully.
Hehe, the first thing I did after I downloaded the raw this week was to check the next episode previews! Whilst I'm slightly disappointed that I have to wait an extra week to see Noriko, it's more than offset by getting the Sei/Shimako first meeting side story. I was starting to worry that we wouldn't see this story at all, or that it'll get truncated into the Cherry Blossom storyline as a series of flashbacks. I'm very excited about next week's episode and the upcoming Cherry Blossom storyline... next Sunday can't come soon enough!

Last edited by atua; 2004-08-03 at 07:17.