View Single Post
Old 2011-04-03, 03:49   Link #470
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
key is to angel beats, what nitroplus is to steins;gate (read: not very involved at all).
Key was closely involved with Angel Beats (creatively, it's more "Key" than Rewrite, which was primarily structured and written by people outside the company). Jun Maeda handled the story planning and wrote every script, so it was his vision through and through.

But yeah, the project was initiated by Aniplex, which is an anime producer and not a game publisher.

Quote:
the possible game adapt. was just an afterthought and completely irrelevant to the original project. to be honest, i can see why maeda was reluctant to write for an anime format and i doubt the show turned out the way he wanted. i wish angel beats never happened but i don't want to start a flame war so i'll leave it at that.
It wasn't the anime format that made him reluctant but rather the request for another tearjerker. Maeda had burned out and feared that he'd be unable to envision a new story up to the quality of his previous works.

Bear in mind that he had technically retired from writing when Key received the anime offer. He's constantly dragged back into that role, but the plan was to bow out and let other people write/direct the next generation of Key games. It's probably safe to say that Maeda isn't entirely keen on scenario work these days (he announced a sabbatical from Key right after finishing the Angel Beats! scripts, citing job burnout), which may or may not have had an impact on how Angel Beats! turned out.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote