View Single Post
Old 2014-01-11, 19:49   Link #33822
Leafsnail

I've come up with a new interpretation after finally reading Our Confession.

Yasu spent ages meticulously planning her murders. She convinced herself on a conscious level that the Ushiromiya family deserved it, that it was the only way she could truly express her feelings. She wrote her stories and set up everything so she'd be ready for the big day.

Only the thing is, Yasu wasn't a murderer. She was an author and a fantasist. Her stories contain numerous instances of "and then they could find out and stop me", but instead of trying to think up countermeasures she simply kept on writing assuming that she got away with it. That's because, deep down, she didn't want to kill anyone. I'd go further, in fact - even if no-one had stopped her, she probably would have bailed on her plan the moment it called for her to murder someone. This is why we're meant to feel sympathy for her even though she plotted the killings.

On the day of the incident, Yasu called Kyrie and Rudolf into the gold room. Much like in Our Confession, she intended to use them as accomplices. Only it didn't work - Kyrie saw straight through her and realized they could beat her simply by solving the epitaph and charging the gold room. This is why Kyrie was so sure the bomb would work, incidentally - Yasu and Genji told her about it earlier, and pointed to the shrine as evidence. Yasu also talked about the exit in Our Confession, so Kyrie would have known how to escape.

Incidentally, it's interesting that Genji wasn't down there. It's possible that he said "fuck off you're crazy" to Yasu when she explained that she planned to actually kill people for real, thus ruining Yasu's plan before she even started it. When the parents burst into the gold room she therefore simply gave up.

From then on it's basically the standard ep7 Tea Party theory. It's not entirely clear why Kyrie would let Yasu live, but it might have been because she wanted to keep her son's girlfriend alive. She couldn't let Battler get away with abandoning her, afterall.
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote