View Single Post
Old 2008-12-21, 13:52   Link #11
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Is this your first time building a computer? It's not super difficult, but it can be a bit finicky at times. Also, make your you follow guidelines on things like static when putting it together.

I will warn you that the LGA775 heatsink design used on the Core 2 Duo is pretty hard to get installed right. A friend of mine and I, both of which have built systems in the past couldn't get it on right even with the instruction, something that became apparent when his 2.4GHZ quad core kept clocking back to 1.6ghz to prevent overheating. He finally had to look up a tutorial video on Youtube to get it on right. This isn't to say it's impossible to get right, just that you need to make sure you do if you don't want your CPU throttling itself.

Regarding case and PSU designs... I actually think that for a basic dual core with a mainstream video card like the HD4670, a separate case and power supply is overkill. Newegg carries the Antec NSK4480 for $75 bucks, which has a 120mm exhaust and a good quality PSU. The 380 watt rating for the PSU may seem low, but it's sufficient for what he's planning to run. Hell, the 380 watt PSU in question actually has a 27 amp rating on the 12V rails, meaning it meets the requirements of some cards that need a direct connection to the PSU - which the 4670 doesn't.

If he does plan to go for something better than a 4670, he may of course want a beefier PSU.

The 4670 will run anything currently out, however, it may not do so at higher resolutions. So if you insist on running an LCD at native resolution, you'll want something more powerful. However, I'm of the opinion that 1280X800 doesn't look that bad for games on a 22 inch widescreen despite being lower than the native res. The biggest argument for going for a more powerful GPU would be longitivity, since in my experience GPUs are one of the big things that hold old computers back on newer games. I personally tend to go for very powerful GPUs on my computers for this reason - gaming being the one thing that really stresses my computer and all.

Edit: I believe the HD4670 is based on the rv 730 series of chips, right? In that case, you might want to consider this rumour:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...11026&Itemid=1

Agreed that you don't need a separate CD burner. If you want to use backup software like Acronis True Image or Shadowprotect - something I would advise considering - you may want a second hard drive. You might be able to use these on a single drive with multiple partitions, but I imagine it would be slow.

Other than that, I might have tried to shave a couple dollars off and put them towards a cheap quad core rather than a dual core, but that's just me.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote