View Single Post
Old 2008-12-21, 15:10   Link #12
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
I'd spring for the ati 4830, the jump in performance is significant for not a whole lot more $. It run's quite cool so the fan spins slower and quieter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...n=4830&x=0&y=0
Are you sure it's quieter than the 4850? The cooler looks exactly the same as on the 4850 for the Sapphire version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I will warn you that the LGA775 heatsink design used on the Core 2 Duo is pretty hard to get installed right. A friend of mine and I, both of which have built systems in the past couldn't get it on right even with the instruction, something that became apparent when his 2.4GHZ quad core kept clocking back to 1.6ghz to prevent overheating. He finally had to look up a tutorial video on Youtube to get it on right. This isn't to say it's impossible to get right, just that you need to make sure you do if you don't want your CPU throttling itself.
Errr what? The CPU throttles itself down when it is idle (once it overheats beyond safety levels, I believe it just shuts down), in other words when it isn't doing anything overly intensive. I'm not really sure why you'd want to disable SpeedStep other than to boast that your CPU is always running at x GHz when it actually doesn't have to (or some guides say that it somehow overclocks better when you disable it, although personally it sounds rather stupid to me).

Quote:
If he does plan to go for something better than a 4670, he may of course want a beefier PSU.
Ahem... even a 400W power supply should power a mainstream/performance graphics card just fine. In fact, I'm running a 4850 on 450W, with three drives, and the usual necessities without any problems (and apparently it is even SLI certified, although I've never bothered to take a closer look or do the math). Not saying that he should get a 400W one, but I think your statement there is not exactly spot on.

Quote:
The 4670 will run anything currently out, however, it may not do so at higher resolutions. So if you insist on running an LCD at native resolution, you'll want something more powerful. However, I'm of the opinion that 1280X800 doesn't look that bad for games on a 22 inch widescreen despite being lower than the native res.
22 inches with 1280x800 and you don't mind that? Wow... and I twitch horribly with 1280x1024 on 19... Oh well, differs from person to person I guess.