View Single Post
Old 2008-12-21, 19:14   Link #16
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

As mentioned before, the e5200 is just fine for HD video as long as the bitrate is sane. And combined with the HD4830, it should make a nice gaming rig. Although the e5200 is low end enough that I wonder if you'd hit a CPU wall with future games before a GPU one (in my experience, most computers hit a GPU wall first).

The 800mhz FSB thing should not be an issue - 1333 mainboards should support 800 and 1066 FSB CPUs just fine. As a quick side note, be aware that the FSB ratings for the Core 2 Duo are quad pumped, meaning that the rated speed is four times what shows up in the bios. So if your bios says the FSB is at 200/266/333/400, that's just fine.

I personally find I stop caring how my current computer looks after a couple months, which is why I generally buy the cheapest case/PSU combo that I think will reliably power and cool my computer. That's just me, though. On the flip side, I actually like Aero Glass enough that I'd probably shell out $10 for it (if I wasn't still running XP).

Do you have a backup strategy planned for this computer, BTW? It's generally a good idea to work that kind of thing out beforehand.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote