View Single Post
Old 2008-12-21, 20:20   Link #17
Magic Saito
The Phantom Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Building on his suggestion, the heatsink comes already with a pad of thermal compound applied to it. I still strongly suggest buying a tube of the same:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835100007

Because if your first try was anything like mine, you'll mess up the initial thermal pad. If that happens, wipe it off with isopropyl alcohol and apply some from that tube. There should be instruction online about the correct amount.
Suggestion acknowledged. And on the subject, would anyone happen to be able to recommend a specific guide online for building a computer? I realize that a simple google search would be sufficient enough to find plenty of guides, however it is a matter of reliability and thoroughness that I, never having done so before, would not be able to adequately judge. Unless of course it is a consensus that any would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
As mentioned before, the e5200 is just fine for HD video as long as the bitrate is sane. And combined with the HD4830, it should make a nice gaming rig. Although the e5200 is low end enough that I wonder if you'd hit a CPU wall with future games before a GPU one (in my experience, most computers hit a GPU wall first).
Hm, you bring up an interesting point. And thinking about it, I would rather choose a CPU that might be too much for the time being than risk choosing a CPU that may limit me in the future. Perhaps I will stick with the E8400 after all. This would bring the pricing of the computer back to the original, however the computer is better now in comparison anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Do you have a backup strategy planned for this computer, BTW? It's generally a good idea to work that kind of thing out beforehand.
My apologies, I do not understand what you mean.
Magic Saito is offline   Reply With Quote