View Single Post
Old 2012-05-27, 19:48   Link #274
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal September View Post
And I should clarify, that yes, I only meant "similar" strictly in the context of the original discussion. To rephrase the past comments in a way that perhaps better reflects my intentions:

DonQuigleone: Anime would get wider acceptance if it would appeal to ordinary adults like me, by having grown-up main casts.
I wouldn't quite phrase it that way. More that Anime would be better, by depicting a wider variety of settings and characters. And in doing so, it would incidentally appeal to "ordinary adults like me" (though I'm hardly ordinary...). I don't think it's actually necessary for Anime to aim for "ordinary" adults. All they need to do is to retain the adults they already have, and bring back former otaku (There are definitely former Otaku now in their 40s). They can do this by making shows, still within the typical anime genres, but in different settings that will appeal to an older audience more. Anime is generally escapist, so featuring teens, allows their previously predominantly teen audience to more easily identify with the fantasy. It's difficult for a older man to insert himself into a teenage harem comedy, but if it was set instead in an office block, suddenly it becomes very easy again, and it requires no real plot contortions (after all, how much of school anime actually shows any work going on?).

Quote:
Eternal September (me): Well, Japanese people in general seem to have a thing for teenagers, so maybe it is only us western fans are seeing it as a niche fandom thing. If anime would become mainstream, then maybe people like you, who assumed that it would be something like older noitaminA shows or Tiger & Bunny, would be surprised to see cast demographics that are closer to the current main audience's favorites than to that. (in other words, "mainstream shows" and "otaku shows" would be surpriingly similar to each other in that regard)
I will admit Japan does currently have a bit of a youth obsessed media culture. Even Dorama is heavily dominated by teen soaps. But I think that has a lot more to do with the industry, then the publics tastes. In the case of Anime, it's due to the dominance of a certain subset of Otaku in consistently buying DVDs and goods. In the case of Dorama, it's all to do with the dominance of Japan's Idol issue, and how it's basically hijacked the entire film and tv industry to sell their "wares". I mean seriously, is there any movie or TV shows Takuya Kimura isn't in? (obviously there are some, but that guy is in too much stuff considering he's not exactly an amazing actor. Though he's a lot better then all his imitators...)

But I'd say the tastes of the Japanese population is more varied then their media industry would make it seem. For one, it should be clear that the reason Idols and Otaku can dominate the way they have is for the same exact reason, they both dependably sell, and they both have a large ancillary market to make back costs. Idols sell to hapless teenage girls (who as a demographic are not known for their taste), and wannabe teenage girls, who'll watch anything with a pretty face in it (and buy ancillary goods, concert tickets etc.). Likewise, Moé Otaku will be guaranteed to watch anything with a pretty face in it, and can be relied on to provide a steady stream of character good purchases and DVD sales. They're both evidence for an industry that's too afraid (as a whole) to take risks. Luckily Japan still has a vibrant film scene (if diminished), and not all Anime is catering to the lowest common denominator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
There's less of a social stigma against attraction to real teenagers. However, once you work in the childish characteristics associated with moe, people find it bizarre and creepy. Their perception is that moe otaku are unable to cope with the sophistication of real women, so they retreat to a fantasy where their women are child-like simpletons who fulfill their warped desires. Attraction to moe isn't something the masses can relate to.
Absolutely true. I've seen plenty of advice out there that if you go to anywhere in Japan outside Akihabara, you shouldn't go out declaring your love of anime. People will think you're weird. I suppose it's a bit like saying you love comic books in the US.

Even with the success of comic book movies, most people still think adult fans are a bit strange.

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2012-05-27 at 20:00.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote