View Single Post
Old 2012-05-28, 06:34   Link #278
Eternal September

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I'm pretty sure that the discussion he was involved with didn't discuss moe's otakuness, it's pretty much a given that it's an otaku concept and appreciated by otaku because of its origins.
The phrase itself has otaku origins, and it can mean many things from being a synonym of "fetish" to even "anything that I like".

One of it's more popular usages, the aesthetic preference of neotenous characteristics, is demonstrated in usages such as "moe antropomorphism", where a character is called "moe" solely for it's art style with a large head and eyes, and small nose.

For example in that context, "moe" was popular in Japanese culture before either the otakudom or it's "moe" slang phrase even existed, and is continuing to be popular currently outside of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
K-ON! was a surprise hit among grade and middle schoolers, apart from otaku. I'm not convinced you can equate that audience with maturity.
The chart that I linked showed it having the largest amount of popularity among people in their 20's and 30's, in both genders.
Eternal September is offline   Reply With Quote