View Single Post
Old 2006-06-17, 15:45   Link #16
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
After all, isn't the poll "who is your favourite character?" rather than "list all of the characters that you like?"
Well, I'm certainly thinking that it's going to be "Who are your favourite characters" poll, just like a number of the other "favourite" polls in the series specific forums. And I'm pretty sure that's what Catgirls was also thinking (but it would be best for him to give his own opinion ).

If it was a "favourite character" poll, then you would really have to limit it to a small number of options, such as

Harima
Eri
Tenma
Mikoto
Akira
Yakumo

And as you say, I would well imagine that in such a poll Harima would not be in the lead but come third behind Eri and Yakumo (but that's just my basic finger in the air guess).

So yes, different types of polls will definately give different results depending on the poll selection and vote options. Since there are just so many characters in SR, it's going to be difficult to organise multiple polls with small numbers of options. And, the main problem with such multiple polls is that they would have no relationship between them, so I don't see much advantage in having them (over a large multiple choice poll that is).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
The problem with such a poll is that everyone is going to vote for Harima, be they Flagger, Riceballer, etc. It skews the normal results. If you forced someone to choose between all of them, though, you'd probably get more accurate results for a "favourite character" thread. Harima tends to be a common second favourite, rather than a primary favourite.
True, but that's a valid result all the same (works for me ). And we could request that people try and limit their vote selection to 5 or less votes for example (this seems to have worked in the other polls). I would find it very difficult to select just 5 character to vote for and it would make it very interesting I think. Plus, I think it would generate more discussion.