View Single Post
Old 2007-10-06, 17:47   Link #6
rg4619

Here's one review/description of the game:

http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/ult...;f=16;t=000091

Quote:
Characters:
The game features 3 main girls.

Hayami: The outcast of the school, the other students all refer to her as the "cockroach" I don't want to ruin the plot so thats all I will say.

Hinata: The very typical rich girl whose absurdly polite and is torn between Hayami and the rest of the students.

Otoba: She is not human, only the main character has the ability to see her. She refers to you as the "Promised Person."

Plot:
Ok the basic setup of the game is that your mother is dead, due to your unstable emotional crisis, your father moved way out into the country and naturally you now have a new school. Our hero is the kind of guy that wants to befriend everyone, but theres quite a rift between the rich and the poor. As the story unfolds you'll learn the motivations for all sides of the conflict, and do what you think is right.

Most of the game is a flashback to the hero's school days, then at the end we get to the present where he finally falls in love with one of the girls and has a nice happy ending.

The story is sadly, really really bland. The author had some good ideas, but due to a total lack of direction and extremely slow pace it just falls apart. (Theres a good reason it took me 6 months to finish this one.) The story is supposed to be a serious drama, but it just isn't written well enough to really make you care.

A big problem is that the author employs way too many flashbacks. About 98% of the game is a flashback, OK thats fine. However in this big flashback, you will whitness about 50 smaller flashbacks from your past, and the girls'. Now this would be fine if it was worth having them, but you'll see the exact same flashback of the hero's mother about 10 times and its always the exact same 20min dialog sequence. It just bores you to tears after awhile. Once I actually fell asleep with the game on auto mode, and I never went back to see what I missed cause I just didn't care to.

What really kills it though, is the pace. H2O is a slow game, were talking snail speed here. And the game only has 1 choice for the player to make, yes only 1. This determines which girl's path you go down. However they have to be played in order, so your first play has absolutely no player interaction at all. Really just a spoken book with nice pictures and nothing else.

To top it off, many of the boring slow flashbacks for one girl are exactly the same scenes with the others, and their unskippable. So you get to see the exact same boring scenes on every path.

This is a total shame though, because the characters are quite nice. I wanted to care about them, but the game made it extremely difficult for me too.
I don't know anything about the game myself. However, these comments are similar to a few others I've read online - gorgeous art (which sold the game) and an interesting but questionably written scenario. Nonetheless, an anime adaptation should eliminate many of the original pacing issues.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote