View Single Post
Old 2003-11-11, 10:15   Link #14
Sukato
Kendo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
the difference between the japanese r and the english one is as follows: An english r has 3 1/2 vibrations when pronounced. A japanese one has only one 1/2 vibration. The l sound has no vibration

The way to pronounce the japanese r the right way is to put the tip of your tongue against the top of the inside of yr mouth (i forgot the word for it) and pronounce the word without trying to cause vibrations and clapping the tongue slightly forward, if you practice ( ALOT :heh) you'll be able to do it but it's hard

The fu sound is even harder still haven't mastered that one)
Interesting, the 'r' sound is the same in Greek as it is in Japanese. If you think Japanese is hard..try the Greek letter "g" (or gamma). An English 'G' as in "great" or "good" is pronounced by the mid-section of the tongue blocking the voice against the roof of the mouth and quickly snapping down to let the voice escape (as is similar to many english letters such as 'c'). However in Greek the "g" is pronounced by the back of your tongue pushing back against the tonsils and closing the voice off at the tonsils, then letting some of the sound escape somewhat through the nasal area as the tongue lets off and produces a very slightly scratchy g/h sound.

Edit: Heh, I was way off-topic..well to add to this list I noticed a pretty common phrase that no one mentioned yet.

Onegai- please (as saying please as a statement by itself).
Onegai is also used when two opponents are about to have a match of some sort (such as Go, Shoji, various sports etc.)..though the actual defination of the word doesn't really make sense as "please" but more like "let's have a good match"..or something like that. Also in this case it's usually Onegai-shimasu.

Sugei (Tsugei? Sugoi? Not sure about spelling)- wow, amazing

Also to add some twist to this thread, some commonly spoken english derived phrases in anime:

Fight-o = a cheering phrase
dont mind = dont worry about the mistake
Lucky! = What luck!...

Last edited by Sukato; 2003-11-11 at 10:54.
Sukato is offline   Reply With Quote