View Single Post
Old 2007-08-07, 15:20   Link #211
An Hero in Disguise
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabien View Post
He's still calculating, and acting for his interests. That little show with Vivio is definitely calculated.
He has a madman's laugh, but it could be an act.
If I said this during one of the discussions earlier I'd get a ton of counterarguments Personally I'd like your words to be true and preserve an image of cool-headed Jail.

Quote:
OK. I think I understand now; I hadn't thought of that point of view. I think we have a completely different view of the notion of "character".
You kinda sound like Zafira is conscious of the viewer's existence. Or, said differently, you care about Zafira's image in the eye of the viewer.

I, OTOH, take what I see at face value. I treat Zafira as a real human being, who doesn't know I'm watching him live.
[Well, he's not exactly human, and I don't really care about him that much, but you see the point.]

Let's take another example: Ginga is a nice girl, so I'd feel bad if she died. Whether she's an actual living girl or an anime character, whether or not she'll have a lot of screen time in the remaining episodes of Nanoha StrikerS, changes nothing to that feeling (except of course it'll be far more intense and durable if it happened IRL).
MGLN/Nanohaverse is kinda unique in the sense that danger and the possibility of death exist, but God/the author cares about the people who live in that universe, and won't kill them just for the beauty of the show.
Well, we understood each other it seems. There were times I cared about the charaters your way, Cowboy Bebop comes to mind for example. But seriously, the inflation of the characters' cast isn't going to end well. Seeing a character being shafted for no apparent reason makes me wonder if it was worthwhile to introduce him/her at all. It's not bad to care about characters' lives but everyone can be kept in absolute safety only when nothing happens; as soon as there's some threat it's perfectly realistic to expect deaths as well (IRL people die in far less dangerous situations than shown in StrikerS). The presence of some kind of guardian angel/plot armor becomes too obvious otherwise.

Quote:
And in real life too. People who actually get the job done have better to do than caring about military status and decorum.
No RL military acts like TSAB; apparently their successful development so far is nothing else than a plot device. BTW show me a case which Lindy solved by herself without some convenient "miracle" happening?

Quote:
I respect that, but of course we can't discuss the subject then.
Of course. And do you think there's a possibility of a non-subjective point of view? Unless we ask for an opinion of a professional aime-critic, probably Still for me what I feel watching the series myself is the thing that matters.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabien View Post
So, you've never, ever, overlooked a series, and discovered it long after it was released. And you have no backlog of series to watch later.
I must say it's impressive.

Ah well, at least that gives me a(nother) reason not to watch FSN.
There is some backlog and overlooked series of course, but nothing of such importance I'd care about the spoilers.