View Single Post
Old 2012-08-28, 19:15   Link #30233
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bluebeard View Post
I'm not sure what the word technically means here, but I for one think his art is just not what people are used to, and that's why they react so badly. I fell in love with Higurashi's art immediately, well, in Umineko I was a bit 'yuck' because I had just come from the anime, but once it grew on me I came to appreciate it.

The PS3 art is retarted. I love their lineart, I love their colors, but their body postures and facial expresisons are completely retarted. It's more proffesional than Ryukishi's, but in no way better, plus it doesn't have Umineko's taste. Try comparing Maria's trollface in the PS3 and the original. Dissillusioned?
Technically? I suppose that would mean what Ryukishi means when he himself says that he's got no talent as an artist. His art is the sort which would never be good enough for professional manga, the sort where for his VNs many people complain about his art being bad and say they wish they had the PS3 editions. Some of that will be because it's not what people are used to from professional art.

But I'm not particularly disillusioned, no, since I already didn't think the expressions in the PS3 versions were as good as Ryukishi's. Maria's PS3 trollface is definitely lacking in expression.

What the PS3 art is lacking is nuance. I don't hate the PS3 art. I haven't seen all of it since I haven't played that version, but quite a few of the pictures I've seen have been nice, and polished and professional. It probably varies a bit by character. I think that, for example, Dlanor's PS3 sprites look great. But none of the PS3 sprites can equal Ryukishi's work when it comes to expressiveness. And, the VNs are written in such a way that expressiveness really matters. I've just taken a look at more of Beato's PS3 sprites, and they are very disappointing. Most of the sprites where she's required to have her mouth open look really bad, as if the mouth just got slapped onto her face, and the trollfaces I mentioned before are really lacking - they look scary in a jack-o-lantern sort of way, but IMO they fail to convey what they need to.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote