View Single Post
Old 2010-05-01, 04:59   Link #9666
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
They can very easily be possessive and have happy relationships. With George and Shannon it's a lot easier since Shannon is a maid and she's used to being ordered around.(That and feminism may or may not have been big in japan then) And just because your possessive doesn't mean your demanding you can be possessive and be protective, which can be an endearing trait sometimes and would be necessary with a family man, which is one reason why George is good with kids.
Feminism isn't particularly big in Japan even now, for that matter. The problem with George, however, doesn't stop here, as he manages to be ultra-posessive -- practically hypnotic, he's only missing rotating swirlies in his glasses! -- in his private scenes with Shannon in Ep1, but when Battler is about to grope her in his presence, Shannon doesn't resist and George doesn't stop him, even though he has both private and public reasons to do so.

This inaction is odd whether George is really possessive or not. It's odd even when he's not very serious about Shannon. It being an isolated incident is no help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
This does, however, raise the question as to how she was able to interlace hints into her stories... unless, of course, the letters were written AFTER the Explosion, and 'Maria' is someone who survived... Rosa, perhaps? Like we were discussing earlier?
The first bottle letter was found within days of the explosion and I can't properly parse the text relating to it regarding time. The first time I reread it, it looked like the police found evidence that the bottle lay undisturbed since before the explosion. Then it turned into 'days after'. In either case that someone would have to write very fast or know about things that didn't happen yet.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote