View Single Post
Old 2009-08-29, 07:57   Link #237
Seiryuu

Something I thought of about that red text. Beatrice set the rule when she declared that all truth would appear in red text. However, there was no red text when she declared that all red text was true. I know this is probably meaningless, but there is a possibility that she'd slipped a loophole past Battler. If the rule was in effect but did not activate for that statement, then she could actually be able to lie and make the red text appear. In this case, Battler can only say with absolute certainty that statements that do not summon red text are false. If this is the case, I'm sure Beatrice will either never use that loophole because she really wants to completely prove that the legitimate events were magic, or she'll save it for a special occasion. If she used it often, Battler would catch on and there'd be no point. However, I suspect Beatrice isn't so interested in proving the magic as she is in forcing him to despair and surrender. His pain would not be any less because she'd deceived him; in fact, to her it may seem all the sweeter then.
Beatrice is basically something like the demons that appear in fairy tales and fables, always making deals and holding to their word, but only to their actual agreement and not to anything more.

One thing I want to know is when we'll find out a little more about Maria's situation. There's already been enough to tell me that Maria's smile and laugh probably aren't as arrogant, sadistic and evil as they appear, but rather a result of some very twisted conflicting emotional struggles; she's hurting, desperate and terrified inside, and her attempt to hide this along with her faith in Beatrice manages to make her look like she bathes in the blood of puppies every night.