Thread: Licensed Shiki
View Single Post
Old 2010-12-30, 14:14   Link #1881
henwy

Registered just to be able to comment on Shiki. It was an interesting series for sure and it hooked me despite the fact that I usually try not to watch anything that's still airing since the suspense of waiting for new episodes drives me nuts. At first I watched week to week just to boggle at the villagers' willful blindness. I was starting to wonder if it was some sort of character defect in the Japanese that they just took something so stoically. Forget the various hints that there might be something darker than just a sickness. If an unknown disease broke out in their neighborhood and reams of people started dying, I'd think most people would freak out a little. Demand answers? Inquire of the equivalent of the CDC? Maybe take the family out of town? Instead, everyone in the village just continued along like cows, which is what the shiki ended up treating them as. The doctor was the only sane man among the adults and that's just baffling.

As far as I'm concerned, there's absolutely no moral equivalence between the shiki and the humans. The former deserved everything they got and more besides.

Spoiler for :
henwy is offline   Reply With Quote