View Single Post
Old 2011-01-25, 03:11   Link #21692
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
By the way, I've never understood why Yasu said she was trapped. And Meta-Battler in EP5, after he figured it out, said that he realized that she was the one who was long suffering; not him. It was said that she couldn't leave the island, right? I mean, it couldn't really be her disfigurement (if there was one), or her inheriting the head-ship. It sounds like she was the boss afterwards. What reasons are there for people to have to remain on an island? Or with the family who's not even there most of the year?
As far as I remember, she wasn't trapped in the island, and she could have left any time she wanted. If it matters, I remember when George asked Shannon about it, she said she hadn't because she was a coward. So, if that works as part of Yasu's characterisation, then I think we could say she never left simply due to her own complexes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
Hmm.. maybe that's why I feel like I've been reading a totally different story.

I was working on piercing the Meta World since EP2, when I saw that it was 'Shannon' who was ordered to write Kinzo's will. It reminded me of how authors like to stick author characters in their novels; so I suspected that Shannon was a writer of some kind. (You see this in manga too; sometimes you see characters being mangaka.)
It's funny because I started as seriously pro-fantasy. But well, as the story moved I realised that approach wasn't really taking me anywhere. So, I re-read the story on a middle ground, as in some things must be mystery and others may be fantasy like the Meta. Then I read EP4 and the bottles made me doubt the Meta, but for some reason something in EP5 made me want to rethink the ideas on kakeras, but I dumped the idea almost entirely when I played EP6 for the first time. Later, the more I thought, I just decided the whole thing was fiction and dropped the idea of fantasy almost entirely, and left it as a just in case. Fun enough, whilst for some people EP7 and EP8 reinforced the possibility of the Meta being real, it did the whole opposite for me.

It's really funny because I ended up taking side I used to really dislike at first, like the Mystery side and the Author Theory. Which, is really ironic considering I was seriously thinking about dropping Umineko by the time I re-read EP6.