View Single Post
Old 2012-12-06, 19:39   Link #722
kuromitsu

To be honest, I don't see such criticism in there... yes, there are repressive social institutions at work, but there are very good reasons why they're so strict about keeping control by all means. Unlike in other shows where the Evil Institution is being repressive because its leaders are afraid of anarchy or crime or just losing their position, in Shinsekai yori it's the survival of civilization at stake (or what remained of it, at any rate). We've already seen glimpses of the quiet desperation that is the foundation of the seemingly idyllic world Saki & Co live in (culling children who exhibit even the faintest traits of certain disorders, their utter helplessness when one slips through, the self-instilled genetic/mental limitations that are both a blessing and a curse, etc), and from now on we'll learn some dark things about the hows and whys and just how far things have gone (and to what end).

If there is criticism I think it's on a wider, more anthropological level, but frankly I think it's not really criticism but more like pondering some aspects of human nature. Kishi Yuusuke said that his inspiration for writing the novel was reading On Aggression by Konrad Lorenz, and from what I remember of the points the book made, it shows. (I read it many, many moons ago, maybe I should re-read it...)

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-12-06 at 19:51.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote