View Single Post
Old 2013-03-08, 01:01   Link #41
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I honestly liked the various imaginary conversations. I'll grant you that it's a little bit cliche, but I felt it was a reasonably effective way of exploring Akane's psyche, and her internal conflict over what Sybil has posed to her.
I like cliches as long as they're executed well. The problem with all the words is that they're repetitious and boring, and the imagery that accompanies all that dialogue is boring, and the background music is boring. There wasn't any clever or insightful or though-provoking dialogue found in all those words.

Quote:
It also gives us the closest thing that we're probably going to get to a meaningful philosophical discussion/debate between Akane (the main protagonist) and Makishima (the main antagonist). I'd prefer "the real thing", but I doubt Makishima will be in the mood for much philosophizing while he's busy trying to destroy Sibyl Japan's food supply.
You're underestimating Makishima - I'm pretty sure that we've got a monologue or two (or three ) from him yet. And I'm dreading all of it.

Quote:
I don't know. Akane goes from knocking out Makishima and choosing to spare him in spite of Kougami's wishes, to saving Kougami in spite of Sybil's wishes, to what she's done this episode.
Akane was thinking in terms of reviving a judicial system to try Makishima - she already wrote off the Sibyl System as useless in regards to him (episode 18).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Again though, this has little to do with order of society. Sibyl has maintained a peaceful society until Makishima threatened it. There is a reason Akane did not immediately go "fuck you" to the system and help destroy it.
That's because she's still on the verge - she's still wavering.

Quote:
Because he's a unique individual. Like they said, any system will have its bugs and it is impossible to compensate for all of them. That's why they see him as valuable, so they can get closer to perfection.
He's not so unique that Akane can't figure him out. Moreover, the Sibyl System can't figure out Akane either - they thought that she was certain to be obedient, but the first thing she does is blackmail them over Kougami.

Quote:
I have no idea what you're trying to say here, or how this is a rebuttal to anything, if at all.
When most of the words are about the Sibyl System, the subject isn't going to be about Makishima. Psycho-Pass is about the Sibyl System and its flaws. The main question is whether it's preferable to keep it and its flaws, or to overthrow it and replace all that it provides to the country.