View Single Post
Old 2006-04-05, 22:46   Link #30
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

I liked them about equally, though there's no doubt in my mind that the absolutely incredible 25-26 finale raised Otome up a lot in my mind.

Someone said of Hime: "It's a bag full of cliches, but sometimes that's a good thing."

And I think that's true of both series. But they've both got an incredibly charming, very human element that reminded me a lot of Stellvia no Uchia and PlanetES (which were probablly better series overall), that make them both entirely irresistable.

I think, if you were to take the characters from the serieses, and transplant them to an entirely mundane setting and tighten up some of the pacing, we'd still be transfixed by their lives and challenge and joy.

Though it'd be a shame to not see Miss Maria kicking all KINDS of ass.

Seriously, Samuel L Jackson-Miss Maria buddy flick. We never got to see what happened to Jules Winnfield after Vincent got wasted by Butch. My vision: He teams up with Miss Maria and they go on a madcap adventure through the Pacific Northwest, fightin' grizzly bears with their hands and shit!

"We should be fuckin' dead now, my friend! We just witnessed a miracle, and I want you to fucking acknowledge it! "
"Really... No matter what you do, you lack grace"

edit: Hmm... you know, speaking of characters and such... I think Arika as heroine is probablly a little more likeable than Mai as heroine, simply because she's faulted. Mai's sort of a reflection on the world she was thrust into, she didn't want the power and she'd as soon as have been rid of it if it could get things back to normal. Mai also is pretty capable in every role she's put into: She may not know how she what's going on, but damned if it's gonna cause too many problems for her. Antsy's more proactive and she faces a lot of moral doubt about her chosen role and difficulty in achieving her goals. Plus, you get the impression that for the most part, she's making it on the skin of her teeth.

I dunno, that's my interpretation. I mean, I like both of them, but it's hard not to root for the underdog.